The size and speed of waves in the surf lake can be varied, making it suitable for surfers of all abilities. Waves in the surf lake are generated by moving water over a shallow profile that causes a wave to form, and then fold on itself, just like an ocean swell becomes a breaking wave when it moves over a reef or a sandbar. In the case of The Wave, water is moved by a mechanical device located along the central axis of the lagoon. The device displaces over 30 tonnes of water, and gets it moving at over 6 metres per second to create perfectly formed surfing waves.
Articles in this section
- Can I get any coaching on a Waikiki session?
- Can I bring my own board to use on the Waikiki session?
- Do you provide boards for the Waikiki session?
- How big are the waves on Waikiki?
- Can I bodyboard on the Waikiki session?
- How old do you need to be to go on the Waikiki session?
- How many people are in a waikiki wave session?
- What surfing experience do I need to surf the Waikiki wave?
- How big are the Waves on the beginner session with no lesson?
- Am I allowed to go into the Beginner session with my child?